Saturday 8 February 2014

Throw, turn, slip, glaze, fire


If I hadn't become a jeweller I think I would have liked to become a potter. Luckily enough, at the moment I have the fantastic opportunity to take a day off from my studio each week to go up to the north of the island and do some pottery. I am still very much a bigginner at this craft - even thought I have been practicing on and off for a couple of years. The process - from block of clay to finished glazed pot - is a slow one, with many techniques to grasp along the way. It all takes a lot of concentration but when its going well it can be quite meditative.


 
Turning the bottom of a pot before the first firing.

The balcony where I throw, turn, slip and glaze my pots, part of a stunning glass 
barn at Scriob Ruadh farm, Tobermory, where Isle of Mull Cheese is made. 


Painting clear glaze over the blue slip, after the first firing

Putting glazed pots into the kiln for the final firing.



                              Two finished pots, experimenting with different techniques.


Soon I hope to make up some simple circular tiles  and small ceramic plinths to use for display in my studio gallery/shop. The space is coming along nicely, doors painted, floors nearly painted, next step - display table making.


I'll leave you with this stunning view of the Treshnish isles, seen last week on a blustery walk with Ross and my visiting Dad. x

No comments:

Post a Comment