Sunday 1 June 2014

 Staffa

Last year, still living in Edinburgh, I worked for Artlink. Through Artlink I met Alison and her partner Ilana. Last September I had the pleasure of designing and making their wedding rings, probably the wedding rings I am most proud of. 18ct gold with a roll printed pattern imprinting the two rings, simple but beautiful I hope. At the time Ilana was exhibiting at the National Museum of Scotland. I visited the exhibition - The Library - several times and was truly inspired bu Ilana's work 'creatively exploring time through fossils, minerals and geological sculptures.

Not only does Ilana produce beautiful art works and fascinating research, she works with beautiful stones - including Mica. My namesake, sort of! 

When I found out Ilana was exhibiting right here on Mull at An Tobar, and part of the exhibition was a boat trip to Staffa and a spoken word performance by Ilana, I knew it was an experience not to be missed. I was not disappointed. Staffa is an incredible beauty to behold - made more wonderful and impressive accompanied by Ilanas reading and live music by acclaimed saxophonist Raymond MacDonald.

We traveled for 3 hours from Tobermory down to Staffa, a wonderful opportunity to see Mull from a different perspective. On Staffa we listened to Ilana and Raymond in front of the famous Fingals Cave and had a little time to explore the cave and some of the island. We traveled back as the sun went down, bathing the Treshnish isles in light.

Here are just some of our photos:

The rib - taking passengers from the boat over to Staffa. Including Ilana, staff from An Tobar and a film crew.  

Incredible Hexagonal rock formations rising up from the sea.

Alpine plants on volcanic pillars.


Looking up at the lava columns to a craggy mass of volcanic rocks.  

Ilana Halperin, in striking orange in front of the grey pillars of Staffa.



From the top of Staffa, looking out to the Treshnish Isles 



The only photo I have of the roll printed 18ct gold wedding rings!

After a magical trip to Staffa I am inspired to begin thinking about a new collection of jewellery using local stones from around the west coast of Scotland - something I have wanted to do since moving to Mull. I am already planning a trip to the Tormore quarry on the Ross of Mull and thinking about the first possible steps for this exciting new project.

Maike x

No comments:

Post a Comment